SERVING IN THE MICRONESIA GUAM MISSION
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." -Helaman 5:12

Sunday, December 5, 2010

loving Saipan!

Hello Mom

I loved the package and everything in it.  Thank you so much,  the christmas advent calenders were funny,  my comp likes them!  Did u get any of my letters I sent form the MTC?  Did u get those pictures I sent in the mail? How is Canada? 

I am doing good, its alot of tough work reopening an area and we did better this week so I know that we can do this!  This week was a really hard week but it was also so rewarding!  So to describe Saipan in such short amount of time:  Imagine a poor Island City with 15,000 people, alot of them are filipinos.  We have a jungle where alot people live.  We have really started to focus on the members and they are beginning to trust us and so they are going to start help us find people to teach!  

I was in an interview with President Dowdle (hes about as short as me but solid and he has a big voice and he really cares about the missionaries and the work). He told me that if I keep working through the members and having faith that our area will have more baptisms, the Lord will prepare more people as the new stake is created in Guam.  Saipan is part of the Guam District and when the stake comes Saipan we will be part of the Guam Stake)  He said that when a stake was created in the Marshall Islands, Baptisms tripled so I am really excited for whats gonna happen here because the work is very slow in Saipan. 
 
My companion  is 105 pounds and is from the Phillipines.  He's a little strange but he is a really good missionary.  His mission call said he was supposed to preach the Gospel in Tagolag here so we go through a lot of lessons and conversations where he is just speaking Tagolag and he says an english word and I have to catch on from there!  There are alot of Phillipinos here and they are so good!! They really emphasize family and they are good kind hearted people.  Most of My "mothers" here are Phillipino!  

The Mission President gave us a new rule that is really strict but I know it will bless us.  We can't eat outside of our area and we have the fewest members in our area.  Before people would invite all the missionaries over (all six of us, four elders and two sisters) and they get pretty offended when we don't come.   But miraculously when we had to tell people they weren't offended they just told us that they felt sorry for us now because we are so skinny! 
We have a very international zone, each missionary is from a different country.  I'm Canadian, my comp is filipino, the elders are american and marshallese and the sisters are australian and Pohniphein).  Its so wierd but so good, we are the closest zone in the mission!!  


Did u send my drivers liscence yet? I really need it in three weeks because here in Saipan you have a month where you don't need you licence and then you show them it and you get a saipan licence and my Comp doesn't Drive!! 

So I gotta go

C YA  
Love ya
Love Elder Kearl  





No comments:

Post a Comment