SERVING IN THE MICRONESIA GUAM MISSION
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." -Helaman 5:12

Saturday, November 6, 2010

getting ready to go....

Dan was required to obtain 4 visas before entering the MTC; Federated States of Micronesia, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau and United States of America.  We were anxious about the US visa because many other elders had been delayed in receiving theirs. The mission department told us if it did not arrive by November 1st, he would be delayed until December 15th.  We went ahead with taking him to the Cardston Temple to receive his own endowments on October 16th, and having a farewell and open house the weekend of October 30th.   Derek said that if there is a God in Heaven his visa would arrive on time, and it did.  On the afternoon of November 1st, we received a phone call from SLC notifying us that his visa had been approved and if we could get him to Provo by the weekend he would be able to start right away.  We had to wait to actually receive the visa in Calgary before he could leave Canada.  He reported to the MTC on Saturday, November 6th.  The best part was that since he was the only elder reporting that day, Derek and I were able to take him right into the MTC to say good-bye.  He was very excited and nervous all at the same time.  As a mom, I felt every single emotion leading up to and including that day...joy, nervousness, sadness, and excitement.
Dan is my miracle baby, being born 12 weeks early, weighing only 1 pound, 11 ounces.  I remember when he was a baby his future was uncertain, and I hoped and prayed that he would be healthy and well enough to be able to serve a mission when he was 19, and I feel so grateful for this privilege he has now.  I felt 100% peace the day we said good-bye.  I knew Dan was well prepared to go and teach the gospel to others.  He had always been diligent in reading his scriptures, attending seminary and studying Preach My Gospel.  He had a strong desire to be a missionary and serve the Lord his whole life.  Most importantly, I knew that Dan knew how to turn to the Lord for comfort and strength.  I had witnessed it first hand many, many times as he faced struggles in his life. 
This same year my sweet mother passed away and I was blessed to feel the ‘tender mercies’ of the Lord through this experience.  I felt peace at this time understanding and believing in the Plan of Salvation, and having the Holy Ghost as a comforter.  As hard as it was to say good-bye to Dan for two years, I felt that if he could share the gospel and the plan of salvation with even one person during his mission, it would be worth the sacrifice.  My mom would have been so proud of her ‘Danny boy’ and I know she is watching over him from up above.     













No comments:

Post a Comment