SERVING IN THE MICRONESIA GUAM MISSION
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." -Helaman 5:12

Sunday, July 8, 2012

transferred to chuuk, what an adventure it will be for him!



sidenote: when dan was first called to micronesia guam i found the blog of the mission presidents wife. i spent a fair bit of time reading through her posts and looking at the pictures. the islands of chuuk seemed like a very cool place and i secretly kept hoping dan would get to serve there. it is very remote and consists of many many islands (look at the scale of the above map). the elders use a boat to get to some of them to see members and do missionary work. dan served in saipan the first year and guam for 8 months, both are quite modern and he loved it there. early on the mission president had asked him to do the lessons to learn the language of chuukese; on guam and saipan many people speak chuukese but i hoped it meant he would be going to chuuk. i was overjoyed when i received his email saying he had been transferred there. i kind of thought that if he wasn't transferred this time he would just be staying put in guam. HE ONLY HAS 2 MORE TRANSFERS TILL HE GETS HOME! YIPEE!!!!! i'm so excited to hear of his adventures in chuuk. i did have a little heart attack when i saw the size of the airport runway. julie

Hey Mom

Guess what?

I go transferred to Chuuk!! It is so awesome here. My last companion, Elder Kata is actually from here. I am in Sapuk with a philipino named Elder Lina! I am not a district leader here like I was in Guam but I am happy to be the senior companion. I have been asked to teach Elder Lina the language of Chuukese! Funny to think of me teaching someone another language.

I got here last night, and we stayed with the Mechitiw elders (my district leader). We had to study in the Mechitiw chapel this morning. The church is really small and made entirely out of wood! While we were studying these kids came and started talking to us. They wanted to sing some hymns with us so our studies were shot, oh well, we had a nice time doing that. We move into our apartment today!

Chuuk is the ghetto of the ghetto! You can't drive very far before the road is totally destroyed. When it rains there are big puddles everywhere. I am excited to see my actually area this week.

I am so excited to be here! Elder Kata gave me some notes to give to his family to read in church and he gave me 46 referrals for missionary work.  I was so sad to leave Guam, I had very positive experiences there but I am SO excited to be here in Chuuk now to finish out my mission.  I will let you know how it goes.

I love you so much and I am so grateful I made the decision to serve a mission.

Love Elder Kearl

p.s can you send me a towel and some white pants. Just send it to the mission office.


No comments:

Post a Comment