SERVING IN THE MICRONESIA GUAM MISSION
"And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall." -Helaman 5:12

Monday, July 16, 2012

roughing it in Chuuk

sidenote: derek and i were both very pleased that dan is in a more remote part of the island where he will not have the comforts of home. guam and saipan were probably more like a poor hawaii, this will be good for dan to experience this type of island life. very cool that he is living amongst his last companions family.

Hey Mom

I am doing awesome! We had a awesome week, we taught 30 lessons, found 36 new investigators and we contacted alot of refferals!  Chuuk is awesome! My companion speaks english and we are in the area called Sapuk. It is actually Elder Katas (last companion in guam) home branch. I met all his family, they are the strongest people on these islands. His uncle is the branch president, his mom is the ditrict relief society president and his sister and brother in law are the district young mens and young womens presidents! I have not taken any pictures yet, my camera is not working well but I will take some on Elder Linas camera!

We are walking everywhere, which is a first for me, I'm used to having a car. This place is very remote and rustic. Not very many people know english and our house is made of wood. The water pump broke and the shower head doesn't work so we have been using bucket showers where you have a bucket of water and cup and you pour water on your head and then you use soap and shampoo and stuff. So its ese kinamwe (not comfortable) We have electricity but no drinking water we just boil water. Luckily the branch presidents family lives right next to us and they have a filter so they give us water sometimes!

The church is really small, the chapel is as big as our living room! Only 23 people came to church. Elder Katas family and then some of his extended family! Everyone is related here it's insane! Me and my companion never use the mission boat because we are on the main island. I was so weird seeing Elder Katas house and seeing his mom! Church is really crazy; it started a half an hour late to wait for people to get here and one little boy pooped his pants so the grandma just took off his daiper and he was running around naked in the church and some people were openly breastfeeding! I also gave a talk yesterday! It is way different from church back home but I love it here and I love the people, they are very genuine.

We already have this girl form tonowas set for a baptismal date. She is really good, she just came up to us and said she wants to get baptized, her name is Castlyn! She is realy cool! Remeber Niciana form Saipan? This is her village and I met her son and husband! It's great to make so many connections wherever I go.

All I really want for my birthday is a handkerchief or two. It gets very hot here walking around and that will help wipe off the sweat.

well I gotta go, love ya, see ya, bye, I will send pictures next week

Love Elder Kearl



















No comments:

Post a Comment